I would have never guessed how bad it was behind our tub surround. Just after Christmas we removed an old tub surround that was in our main bathroom. It looked relatively fine, however, when we removed it ..... we were totally disgusted! All we saw was mold and mildew. I wanted to update it with subway tile to freshen up the feel of the bathroom. We contacted Douglas Irving (click here). Douglas came in and meticulously corrected all the wrong with the rotting wall and installed a beautiful subway tile tub surround. I went with a crisp white tile with a slate coloured grout. He was in and out in 2 days and was very professional and we were very pleased with his work.
I had an existing silver shower curtain rod and silver hooks for my curtain that I really wanted to paint black. I used a flat black Rust-Oleum painters touch spray paint (click here) and sprayed both my rod and hooks. This was quick and easy. I let it dry for a few days to ensure the adhesion. At the same time I also painted my existing hardware for my cabinet. I had the pulls and I still liked them, just thought black would be better.
My existing cabinet was a custom piece my Dad had built in and it provided a ton of storage and was very solid. I have a beautiful antique dresser I would have loved to install, however, I knew I would be sacrificing my abundance of storage. I dreamed of having all brand new beautiful white towels meticulously rolled in a vintage box of some sort.....that idea left quickly considering the 3 boys I live with. My husband Craig is very good at doing the laundry, however, we have an ongoing 20 year disagreement over how towels should be folded! Really though, I knew it would kill me to have our towels on constant display. Storage, storage, storage is a must! With that in mind I knew I should keep what I had and revamp it with paint. I used the Fusion Paint (click here) . The colours I chose were Raw Silk, Putty and Cathedral Taupe. I also mixed up a little bit of the Fresco (aged, weathered, worn rustic texture paste) to some of the paint and added that to some areas of the cabinet. I painted the whole cabinet with the Raw Silk and then distressed with sand paper and scraped the edges to give it the chippy paint look. I really liked the Fresco textured effect that I added in random areas as well as the other colours to add dimension.
Chris Buckley (my trusted perfectionist carpenter) custom made my butcher block countertops. I love his work and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him for all of your renovation needs. (click here) He installed the countertop and replaced the sink and taps. The vessel sink came from Kent Building supplies (click here) and the taps came from Amazon.ca (click here).
I quickly added an open shelf with an old piece of barn board I had and I purchased the brackets from Crackle and Teal (click here). The top of the butcher block, I stained it in a walnut colour. I did use a couple coats of a matte varnish, however, I plan on adding some wax to bring out the lustre of the wood.
I used my antique ladder to add height to my corner and it helps to hide my son Tanner's speaker for his music behind the white floor mat. I searched for ever for an appropriate hamper and found nothing. I ended up using a vintage box that already had a hinged cover attached. This works great for now. I purchased a new white shower curtain (similar click here). I was very happy how crisp it made the room feel. I loved the saying in the sign I made and really wanted to add it to this space to remind myself of all the blessings that surround my family and I on a daily basis.
The wood wall decor piece is from Winners and I tweaked it with a hook, rolled vine into a wreath from my garden and dried boxwood from my plants. I am sure I will still be tweaking this room, like any good, obsessive, decor loving addict does. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I would be happy to chat with you!
Scroll sideways below to see my before and after pics of the bathroom!